The following information and resources are provided as a public service and do not constitute nor replace the advice of a legal professional.
Generall, our historic duplexes and apartments in Sycamore Square (pre-1978) fall under the Rent Stabilization Ordinance (RSO), commonly called “rent control,” which governs rent increases, evictions, and cash-for-keys offers. Our newer apartments do not fall under the RSO. Confirm RSO status at zimas.lacity.org. (Click “housing” on left column menu.)
COVID-19 RENTER PROTECTIONS: https://hcidla.lacity.org/covid-19-renter-protections
The Housing + Community Development Department provides resources for all renters.
HCIDLA hosts Monthly RSO Workshops.
2nd Wednesday of the Month, 10:00am-12:00pm
3550 Wilshire Blvd, 15th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90010
General RSO Information:
- RSO Overview (see the HCIDLA 2/2019 Presentation HERE)
- RSO Update (January 2019)
- Tenants’ Guide | Landlords’ Guide
- Guía para Inquilinos de Los Angeles
Rent Increases / Reductions:
- Legal Reasons for Eviction
- Tenant Not at Fault
- Illegal Use (at Fault)
- Ellis Act Evictions (see the HCIDLA 10/2018 Presentation HERE)
- Relocation Assistance
- Cash for Keys (see the HCIDLA 3/2019 Presentation HERE)
- Reasonable Accommodations and Modifications (Accessibility)
- Sexual Orientation Discrimination
- Fair Housing
- Report a Code Violation
- Interest on Security Deposits
- Security Deposit Return Request Letter Builder
- Rent Stabilization Rules in Other SoCal Cities
Legal Assistance Regarding Housing Matters
HCIDLA provides a listing of legal resources at THIS LINK. Some of the resources are repeated below.
Disclaimer: No representation is made as to the quality of work of any agency. Locations, hours of operation and fees listed are subject to change without notice. Check provider websites to ensure accuracy.
Coalition for Economic Survival Biweekly Tenant Clinic
Consultations Wednesday 7:00pm and Saturdays 10:00am (arrive by start time)
7377 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood, CA 90046 (Plummer Park Community Room)
Los Angeles Tenants Union
Meets 1st & 3rd Wednesday of the month, 7:00pm-9:00pm
Location: Catch One Club, 4067 W Pico Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90019
- LA Tenants Union Handbook
(includes information for non RSO tenants)
- Getting an Eviction Attorney
SAJE Weekly Tenant Clinic
Meets Tuesdays 4:00pm to 7:00pm
152 W.32nd Street, Los Angeles, CA 90007
Eviction Defense Network
Free Walk-in Consultations (first-come, first-served)
Monday – Thursday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m; Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m
1930 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 208, Los Angeles, CA 90057
Please help us keep this list current. Email us any changes you discover while accessing a service. Thanks!